Tuesday, January 20, 2009

This story made me LOL so damn hard

I hear you have a funny story about the first feature film you were in?
Ann Carr: I do. There was this screenplay. It was written by a friend of mine and he invited me to participate in a reading for it. Usually with these kinds of things, they go a few steps and then result in a dead-end. I’ve been in New York long enough that I'm a bit jaded, so I wasn’t expecting much. About a month went by and then one night, while I was out getting mojitos with my friend Adira, I got a call. It was this woman who said she was the costume designer for the screenplay I had read for and was wondering what my schedule was because she would like me to come in for a fitting. I was skeptical, so I said, "Well, this is the first I'm hearing of this. I haven't even spoken to the director, so I didn't even know about this." There was a long pause and then, "Sure, okay."

I mean, I don't even know what I’m committing to, you know? I asked her what role they wanted me to play and she said they weren't sure. By this point I was thoroughly confused. I was thinking: "You don't even know what ROLE you want me to play and you want me to come in for a fitting? Probably not a project I want to get involved with." So she said, "Tell you what, I'll send you an email with the roles we were thinking of."

The next morning, going through my emails, I found the one addressed to me from the costume designer with three sides attached. Except she signed off casting director, not costume designer. Confused, I googled her and found she was the principal casting director on several feature films. And she was calling me in to audition! I felt like such an asshole. I was so, so nervous for the audition and I was sure she would remember what a total freak I was on the phone. She was really sweet though. It's a funny story, but I'm lucky she was cool and the writer/director was a friend.

via Apiary


0 comments: