Monday, July 14, 2008

Look At This Fellow, Just Doin' All Sorts of Lamping Out


And I say 'fellow' in all sincerity. Setting up a very interesting precedent, the government of Spain recently proposed a bill that would grant limited human rights to some species of ape, other than homo sapiens.

I'm all for this (chup-chupp). Is it even worth debating whether or not our evolutionary cousins display advanced intelligence, huu? While I'm not saying every member of chimpunity deserves health care and a pension (what would they spend it on, bananas? lol), I think it's reasonable, hoo, to legally protect them from being tortured in a zoo, wraf! Or poked and prodded with experimental drugs by some fiend in a lab coat. That's just being civil, in my opinion.

Party on, Spain. Make it safe for my buddy to lamp out as long as he wants. HoooH'Gra!

3 comments:

Tim said...

Seeing an ape act like a human makes me sick.

Billy said...

You are a silly man, then.

Benjamin Ellis said...

article gets pretty snide & flippant on the second page ...

but, yes, good on spain. it is a step in the right direction, and at least an indicator that humans have come to realize that non-human species experience suffering and that torture isn't okay. for all our big brains, we certainly can be pretty dense.