Friday, March 21, 2008

I Had To Diss You, Jeffrey Lewis

Hard to explain how I'm feeling right now. I couldn't help myself. I had to do it.

My friend Ben turned me onto Jeffrey Lewis' music last year and I enjoyed some of it. The more I listened however, and the more I picked up on what his style was all about, the beginnings of a diss track began to rattle around in my head.

One night, I sat down and recorded it.

Months pass, as they have a way of doing, ya kennit? Tim tells me The Cribs are playing a show in our neighborhood. Do I want a ticket? Shit yes, I want a ticket. But what's this? The opener? Yes, Jeffrey Lewis. Suddenly, my diss track can be delivered to its target, in person. It's no longer an abstract idea, floating out there in space: I can hand this guy a CD of a song I wrote making fun of him. I debated whether or not it was a good idea. What if he's not cool about it and it hurts his feelings? What if he is cool about it, and it still hurts his feelings? I don't know what I was expecting when I wrote it (as diss tracks are constructed to hurt feelings, by design) but now that it was right there at my fingertips, I had doubts.

Ultimately, I decided to give it to him. If there's a diss track out there about me, I want it handed to me by it's composer, as he looks me square in the eye and tells me it's from the heart. Which is exactly what I did, for better or for worse. I hope he likes it. I'm sorry, Jeffrey.

Note: This is only a :30 preview of the full song. Don't know how to fix that (do you?), if you want to hear the rest, let me know.



Jeffrey Lewis' Official Site

0 comments: