Wednesday, December 12, 2007

There Will Be Blood / Blame The Fat Guy

A couple of friends and I sat down to see an advance copy of P.T. Anderson's new joint There Will Be Blood last week. I'm an unabashedly huge fan of his first four movies, and when I heard that Johnny Greenwood was doing the score, I began a year long anticipatory pants shitting.

To say the finished product is his best film thus far is an understatement. I think it's one of the best films of the decade and I'm hard pressed to think of a better one in the past five years. Daniel Day Lewis is remarkable. The first fifteen minutes of the movie have no dialogue. It's just him on screen, going about his business (no spoilers) and you can't look away. The cinematography is outstanding (such mise!) and the aforementioned Greenwood score of dissonant, uneasy strings is so incredibly compelling it almost becomes its own character. It's effect on how you perceive the events onscreen is that prominent. It only gets better once Daniel Day Lewis starts to talk. The character he creates, Daniel Plainview, is the most entertaining anti-hero I've seen since Hannibal Lecter. And anti-hero might not even be the right word since, like life, Anderson presents us with neither good guys nor bad guys, just people.

However you classify his character, there's only one way to classify his performance: Remarkable. (That was my stab at sounding like the guys on Metacritic).

Paul Dano is also outstanding, as a charismatic preacher in a rural town that finds himself at odds with Plainview and his plans for the community and surrounding area. I'm trying to stay vague here because I really think this is a movie that benefits from a 'clean slate' on the viewers part.

It comes out December 26th.

___________________________________________

Changing gears, there's a video of ours that is eliciting some negative responses from the Internet community. To be fair, there are just as many positive messages as profanity laden missives of hate. But the angry comments have been much more interesting to me. It's not that I didn't expect them, far from it in fact. What did surprise me is that I in particular am continually being singled out as a fat piece of shit. There are a couple of variations on the theme, but basically that's the gist of it: I am a worthless fat fuck and I deserve to die.

Maybe it's because I'm the easiest to pick on, as I'm the only overweight guy in the group. People could find other things to mock, like Tim's scoliosis or Anthony's perfectly straight, silky pubic hair (he irons it every night), but the fat guy will always take the brunt of the abuse. It was true in middle school, and it's true now. I think when it's all said and done, I'm going to take all of the comments that are about me and self publish them. If you want a copy, send me an email.

1 comments:

Kindel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.