Thursday, November 1, 2007

My First Chumby



Chumby is a small beanbag with a touchscreen computer inside it. It's opensource so anyone can develop programs or modifications for it, as opposed to the iphone/ipod and the wii (the other big alt-web products. At this point however it has no keyboard application- it only runs stuff specifically designed for it.) Chumby has flash capabilities too, so it can play games and video. When you hook your ipod to it it acts like a stereo.

It's $180 including shipping. To be clear, this device is in no way a necessity; it's a toy. In fact I'm not sure how much I'll use it. If anything, I've bought a really neat alarm clock. I bet it will develop a seeqpod-esque music program, a calender application, and a news ticker RSS type thing. I'm usually the last guy to get a new gadget, but I happen to have a little extra money and this thing seems cool.

0 comments: