Monday, November 5, 2007

I Did It All For Tanooki So You Could Take That Cookie

I would say at this point in my life I'm happy with the way things are going. I have a job, good friends, and I'm making movies (SeriousLunch.com launching soon! No really).

I look at my life as a series of moments leading up to a big event. Or just AN event. There are the yearly ones like Christmas, and my birthday. Then there are bigger ones, like a family member's wedding, or graduating from college.

Last year around this time, I was fist-elbow-shoulder deep in Wii anticipation. It was the only thing on my horizon. I would talk to my housemates about how after the Wii launched, we would all be better people. There would be world peace. Landlords wouldn't collect rent. They would just wanna come over, make a cute Mii of themselves, and bowl 10 frames. Maybe reminisce about Toe Jam and Earl because they heard so much about it, but didn't have it in Poland. Dogs and cats would live together, cockroaches wouldn't lay eggs inside people, and if they did, the eggs would be Easter Eggs and it would be an honor to have them hatch inside of you. An Honor and nothing less.

None of that stuff happened. Cept the Wii launched and it was neat.

One year later, I find myself feeling almost the same way I felt last year if not more excited because Super Mario Galaxy comes out in a week. A week! Fucking Mario Galaxy. A new Mario game is... I dunno. It's life changing. I remember every day I got every Mario game, where I was, the first time I pressed power and saw the opening screen, playing them, beating them. When I warped to world 4, Mario was there. The first time I made that seemingly impossible jump on 8-1, Mario was there. When I beat Wart (and it was all a shitty dream), when I turned into a statue via the tanooki suit, warped with whistle, Mario was there. When I raced the penguin down the ice slide for fun even though I beat him five times before, or chased the rabbit through the basement of the castle, or turned into Metal Mario, that was when Mario and I walked together. When I couldn't find the rocket pack in Delfino Plaza, or when Shadow Mario swiped my waterpack while falling into a bonus world with the a cappella Mario music playing, was when Mario carried me.

There's no real point to this post. I'm just really excited. A character who's been a part of me for over 20 years has a new game coming out. Is it sad that it's one of the only things on my mind right now? I don't think so. Not at all. All I'm sayin is...

"Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you
not speak to me?
And why should I not speak to you?
Because I am on my way to play Mario Galaxy so shut the fuck up."

-Walt Whitman

Smell ya later. Smell ya later forever.

2 comments:

Billy said...

Well, you're at home playing it as we speak. How's that working out for you?

Anthony said...

It's working out quite nicely thank you.