Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Never Ever Ever Forget

Six years ago today, our nation was forever changed. When we awoke that temperate September morning, we inhabited a world that did not exist but a few hours hence, when we laid our weary heads to rest. In our arrogance, we assumed certain things to be permanent; that they would always be there, the same as the day we first began to love them.

I am, of course, referring to Ben Folds, who's Rockin' the Suburbs album was released September 11, 2001. Ben Folds Five was on my short list of favorite bands back then, and I awaited his solo debut with baited breath and high expectations. While the album garnered some significant play in my dorm room back then, I hardly ever return to it. Now in the twilight of my salad days, I find myself preferring the muted jazziness of The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner, with its moody tunes about misspent youth and failed marriages. The uber-clean synth-pop production that dominated Rockin' would prove the 'jump off' for a steep decline in my Ben Folds fandom, so much so that years later I didn't even buy his follow-up album

So even though the events of September 11th forever altered my perception of Ben Folds' musical output, I'd like to think that I've become a stronger, more resilient and (yes) more righteous person since then. I've never been more certain that I am of a chosen people, steadfast and unwavering in the belief that I need to take whatever steps are necessary to preserve my musical tastes and propagate them around the globe. Because we can never, ever, let something like 9/11 happen again.

2 comments:

Bob said...

This blog is rated - 5 LOL's

Ryan said...

Fortunately he didn't go with the initial album title: "Rockin' the Financial District"...(hi-yooo)